Wednesday, October 22, 2014

First World Problems: Dog Coats and Weird Shapes

It's fall, and the cool air has come to kiss our cheeks and tickle our skin with a hint of winter. While I am enjoying the cooler temperatures, Corvus is not real thrilled with the chilly air. He is a boy who LOVES to be warm. Ditto, thankfully, is a bit more warm blooded, but even she has her limits.

Recently, Hurtta coats have been everywhere - Marshals, TJ Maxx, several shops online, etc - for RIDICULOUSLY low prices. I've heard as low as $6.50, even! Being that I live in an apparent black hole for good deals on awesome dog stuff that everyone else in every other city can find, I had to resort to online shopping to get mine.


Which leads us to my little gripe. Actually, there are two gripes. Let me just get them over with.
1) Why does every sizing guide ever made for pet clothing NEVER work out for my dogs? I am fairly certain I'm following the measuring instructions, but it never fails. I can't size my dogs properly according to anyone's sizing charts.

2) Why is Corvus shaped so oddly? He has the weirdest proportions. Things that fit his chest and neck are far too big in the body. Things that fit his body correctly are suffocating for his neck and chest. Blargh !

Anywho, using the Hurtta sizing chart, I ordered a size 24 for Corvus and a size 22 for Ditto. I now have a size 24 for sale, and Ditto is cold.

The coat I ordered for Ditto sort of fits Corvus. It will do in a pinch, but I can tell by the design of the coat, no size would fit him properly based on his weird ass proportions. That's terribly sad because these coats are AMAZING. For now, it fits him great on the front half of his body...but takes on a shady Superman cape type appearance in the rear. He's not really digging the whole "Swish Swish Swish" the flappy parts make when he walks.

Exhibit A: Seriously, awesome coats.


I've sort of figured what I will do is order Corvus a Made By Meadowcat fleece coat that will be made CUSTOM, to suit his measurements. He'll probably wear that 24/7 because our house is old and drafty, and Stinkface likes his warms. Then, I can throw the Hurtta on top of that for outside us on really cold days or rainy days.

I'm still coming up with a plan for Ditto. Maybe she'd be content with just a fleece.

I think this is what people mean when they say "first world problems" but hey...if Corvus ain't happy, ain't nobody happy! If anyone has any stellar ideas or recommendations for custom coats, or pit bull friendly coats so I can get something for Ditto too, please feel free to leave me a comment below and I will check them out.

1 comment:

  1. Great post! Bringing home a new dog, whether it’s a puppy or an adult, is like bringing home a new baby – you need to be prepared, and you need supplies. So, I was looking for articles on buying clothes for dog online and then I came across yours inspiring read. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete