Tuesday, October 21, 2014

Happy Almost Gotcha Day, Ditto




I am notorious for forgetting things. Like, Ditto's upcoming "Gotcha" day. I know it's coming, but I also know that I will inevitably get busy and then a few days past it remember suddenly with an exclamation of "OH SHIT!"

So....even though it's a few days early, here's to you, Ditto, and the year that you've been in our lives. My little heartbeat on four feet. My little wrecking bull. My little flying potato. 

When the opportunity to bring you into our lives presented itself, we were fresh with grief from the loss of our Hannah - our 8 year old great dane who we put to sleep a few months earlier - and unsure about the big step of bringing another dog into our home. After all, we had Corvus. The Land Shark. The Dark Lord Of Concord. The jerk dog..

Oh, but our cranky guy was lonely. We could see it in his eyes, and tell by the way he moped that even though he was known for his other dog intolerance, he needed a companion. So, we mulled it over. Jokingly, at first. "What if" we brought Ditto home? "What if" we had two dogs again. Do we dare?


We dared. One sunny fall morning in late October, I got into the car and headed to meet my best girl. It's a decision I could never possibly regret. Ditto is amazing. It was love at first sight, and even though Corvus was hesitant at first about this new creature being in HIS house, his desire to have a buddy he could play with eventually won over his skepticism. 

So, here it is, almost a year later. Ditto is the most affectionate being this planet has ever known. It is physically IMPOSSIBLE to not laugh when she is around. She is the perfect balance to Corvus' seriousness. Together, they make up both halves of my heart. I am complete with them. 

Happy One Year, Ditto. And here's to many, MANY more! 

No comments:

Post a Comment